Large-capacity storage tanks are an essential requirement for including industrial wastewater treatment, municipal water supply projects, biogas plants, etc.
The stored liquids may spill, evaporate, or seep through even from the tiniest opening.
An ideal storage tank should be waterproof, sturdy and easy to maintain. The conventional large-scale storage tanks are made up of carbon steel or concrete.
However, both have serious shortcomings. Carbon steel welded storage tanks need to be manually welded on-site, this compromises the overall quality of the tank. On the other hand, concrete storage tanks take up a lot of installation time and need to be waterproofed separately.
These limitations can be addressed by opting for a glass-lined steel tank. It uses enamelled steel plates and is bolted on site. It is quick to install and is easy to maintain and repair.
Advantages of Stainless Steel Glass-Lined Storage Tank:
- Quick installation: Contrary to on-site welding, glass-lined steel tanks are manufactured with steel plates in the factory in advance. As the metal processing and finishing work are done in the manufacturing plant itself, waste generation in the finishing process is reduced. This reduces the installation time.
- Corrosion Resistant: Glass-lined steel provides excellent resistance to acids, alkalis, water and other chemicals as a result of solutions. This prolongs their life while corrosion can render most metal vessels unserviceable in a few years only.
- Cost-effective solution: When maintained properly, glass-lined steel reactors can be an economical solution when compared to steel and alloy vessels. The service life of the latter is usually limited due to their inability to resist corrosion the way glass lining can. The fusion of glass with steel produces a composite material that offers product protection, structural strength and durability.
- Maintains purity: Unfavourable external environments tend to dissolve the metals from unlined mild steel or alloy reactors. Metals, such as chromium, nickel, and copper, can leach into and contaminate the stored product. This negatively affects product yield. Glass-lined steel is inert and thus impervious to contamination.
- Minimum Maintenance: In case of gaskets leak, panel corrosion, or accessories, the damaged parts can be easily repaired or replaced. Moreover, glass-lined steel has been adapted to cGMP requirements for cleaning, cleanliness, and sterilization. They have a high degree of surface smoothness that makes them easy to clean. The smooth surface of glass-lined steel also resists the buildup of viscous products, thus, reducing frequent clean-ups.
- Easy to transport: Since the parts of glass-lined steel tanks are transported individually, the logistics become hassle-free. They are light compared to concrete tanks, thus, reducing the transportation costs. They are durable and less prone to damage on their way to the installation site.
- Flexibility: The chemical, mechanical, and thermal properties of glass enable them to handle a diverse range of operating conditions. Therefore, expansions can be realized, and project dismantling and dismantling can be done. It saves the additional investment in secondary projects. These tanks can be re-positioned, expanded, and recycled.
Besides the above benefits, additional services such as painting, lining and insulation can also be provided for client-specific requirements.
If you’re thinking of purchasing a Stainless Steel Glass-Lined Storage Tank for your project, get in touch with PDFL. They are the acknowledged leaders in the fabrication of storage tanks.