Chemical storage tanks are containers for chemical products widely used within the chemical and related industries and are available for different purposes, i.e. storing, processing, mixing, transportation of raw or finished products. The chemical tanks are used to store old liquids, compressed gases, hazardous chemicals, etc. in fluids or solids and are available in many capacities and shapes, viz, vertical, horizontal, cylindrical, flat or cone bottom, top open/closed, double-wall chemical tanks, poly chemical tanks, dual containment, to name a few. These storage tanks are designed in a way to handle large and varying degrees of pressure, even during transportation.
When deciding specifications for storage tanks, the most important factor PDFL takes into consideration is to know what kind of chemical will be stored. Based on that, the size, concentration, and material of designing the tank are taken care of.
Construction Materials of Chemical Storage Tanks
Predominantly, there are three types of storage tanks available:
- Stainless steel: The tanks are durable but incompatible with most acids and are one of the most expensive options available. The use of high-grade steel offers strength and ensures the longevity of the tanks.
- Fiberglass-reinforced plastic tanks (FRP): These tanks are coated with an interior chemical and are viable options for some applications. They require increased maintenance and are capable of handling pressure and volume. They’re vulnerable to some chemicals.
- Polyethylene: These tanks are sturdy and can handle all types of chemicals. Quite versatile and are available in linear and cross-linked variants. These tanks have increased structural integrity and are resistant to rust and corrosion. The plastic tanks are used in residential, industrial, and commercial set-ups.
The tanks are designed to make them easy for installation in different types of work environments.
Storage Requirements for Chemical Storage Tanks
Before installation, the following aspects require attention to make sure all serious leakage risks are mitigated.
- Safety in site-selection is important so that the chemical tank can work better and for a longer time.
- Placement of the tank should be in accordance with climatic conditions to withstand earthquakes and other geological disasters.
- Risk and safety of the environment and surrounding areas to be taken care of. Safe distance needs to be maintained from mainstream society.
Health and Safety of Chemical Storage Tanks
Finding the right type of chemical tank to suit your functional needs is crucial to ensure safe chemical storage. What is more important is regular testing, cleaning, and maintenance of all your chemical storage tanks is to comply with the latest European Standard as well as recognised International Standards to ensure that
Storing hazardous chemicals also require the risk of leakage to be mitigated to avoid losses, casualties, and environmental contamination. The safety and reliability of the tanks are of utmost importance for any company.
Cleaning of Storage Tanks
Chemical storage tanks are an investment for any chemical company. Proper upkeep of tanks is required for smooth operations and for long life of a tank. Cleaning of such tanks could be a hazardous activity. Following pointers should be kept in mind while getting the tanks cleaned:
- Specialist contractors with apparatus are required.
- Specialist cleaning machinery is required for certain tasks.
- Cleaning fluids should be compatible with stored fluids/chemicals.
- As soon as the cleaning is done, always wash down the area.
- Collect debris regularly that could have been blocked which in turn affects the performance of the tanks.
- Extra care needs to be taken while using steam or hot water.
- High-pressure water jetting should be done only when the tanks are empty.
PDFL’s inspection, audit, and maintenance services ensure that your tanks are compliant with the ever-increasing stringent regulation which also helps avoid disasters. We also emphasise on the importance of accurate calibration while taking into account clear insight and capacity of your chemical storage tanks.
Whether you want us to design or manufacture a tank with your specifications, want us to help you with chemical storage tank inspection and maintenance, or want your tanks and silos to be equipped with accessories such as leak detection equipment, dust filters, air sparge systems and so on, our experts are here to help.
Contact us to know more.